When landlords rent to tenants with Housing Choice vouchers, more options for families in need are created and the local affordable housing stock increases. Residents have to contribute 30 percent of their income for their monthly rent, while the voucher pays for the rest based on SPHA standards. Landlords also get the benefits of free advertising for your properties, free unit inspections, and the use of your own lease. With the assistance of the St. Petersburg rental community, we will reach our goal of providing safe, decent and affordable housing to local families.
Register with SPHA
- Before you are authorized to rent your property to Section 8 tenants and receive Housing Assistance Payments from SPHA, you are required to complete SPHA’s New Owner Packet. Please note that SPHA also requires all owners/landlords who have previously participated in the Section 8 program, but have had no activity on their accounts in 12 months or more, to complete the packet to remain in the program.
- Please download the New Owner Packet HERE and fill it out completely, making sure that all registered owners of the property sign off on the packet
- You also can submit your completed paperwork to the St. Petersburg Housing Authority, Re: New Landlord Documents, 2001 Gandy Blvd. N., St. Petersburg, FL 33702, or fax to 727-328-6699.
- SPHA regularly hosts Section 8 workshops for prospective and existing landlords. All workshops will be held at SPHA’s central office, 2001 Gandy Boulevard North, St. Petersburg, FL 33702, unless otherwise indicated.
Listing a Unit for Rent
- SPHA has partnered with http://spha.gosection8.com to list rental properties online. Listings are available to potential Housing Choice Voucher / Section 8 tenants seeking apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes in the private market. It is recommended that landlords add photos to their listing for better advertising and faster lease up! Landlords, click here to list your rental property.
- Another potential resource for landlords who would like to advertise properties and list availabilities is www.floridahousingsearch.org. You can register online at the website or by calling 1-877-428-8844. You will receive a username and password with simple user instructions. Once registered, you will need to log in to www.floridahousingsearch.org and add your available property listings, including amenities, features and photos. The Socialserve.com call center will respond to you within 48 hours of the time your registration is submitted to answer any questions regarding listing your properties.
Program Forms and Information
|Case Load||To find a Housing Specialist, please refer to this updated list of caseloads|
|Direct Deposit||This efficiency measure is part of the housing authority’s continuing effort to streamline business processes for the housing authority and allows for payments to be deposited directly into your bank account.|
|HMS PAL Instructions||Once you have registered for direct deposit, you may access an itemization of the SPHA payment for each of your HAP contracts online at the HMS PAL website at www.pal.hmsforweb.com.|
|Change of Address||In order for SPHA to process an address change, please fill out this form.|
|Adding a Unit||To add a unit, landlords who currently are participating in the Section 8 program must complete all pages of the forms listed and submit them SPHA.|
|Certification of Repairs Made||If your unit has failed inspection twice (and is going on Abatement), you will need to fill out this Certification of Repairs Made form, in addition to paying the Reinstatement Fee. You can pay the fee here.|
|Utility Allowances||This chart shows the approved allowances for tenant-furnished utilities and other services.|
|Payment Standards||This chart shows the SPHA-board approved payment standards for rentals.|
|Request for Rental Increase||As a result of the St. Petersburg Housing Authority (SPHA) funding allocation constraints and to optimize the number of families that receive rental assistance through the Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), SPHA has suspended all rent increase requests for the remainder of 2018 and until further notice is given by management.|
|Rent Reasonableness||This document provides an explanation of rent reasonableness and how contract rent is determined in the HCV program.|